Health Care Reform Through Reconciliation Wrong According to Many Senators
With President Obama and the Democrat leadership in the House and Senate urging health care reform through reconciliation, several Senators are speaking out against using reconciliation.
Reconciliation was set up to allow for budget items to get through Congress after both the House and Senate passed slightly different bills. However, both parties have used reconciliation in the past to move through items that were not purely budgetary.
Now the President and the Congressional Democrat leadership is threatening to use reconciliation to pass their massive health care reform bill.
Several leading Congressmen have spoke out against using the reconciliation process. The following are several quotes from several Senators:
- “The President hasn’t gotten his way. And that is now prompting a change in the Senate rules that really I think would change the character of the Senate forever…what I worry about would be that you essentially still have two chambers the House and the Senate but you have simply majoritarian absolute power on either side, and that’s just not what the founders intended.”
- “We are on the precipice of a crisis, a constitutional crisis. The checks and balances which have been at the core of this Republic are about to be evaporated by the nuclear option. The checks and balances which say that if you get 51% of the vote you don’t get your way 100% of the time. It is amazing it’s almost a temper tantrum. “
- “Mr. President the right to extended debate is never more important than the one party who controls congress and the white house. In these cases the filibuster serves as a check on power and preserves our limited government.”
- “This nuclear option is ultimately an example of the arrogance of power. It is a fundamental power grab.
- “You’ve got majority rule and then you have the senate over here where people can slow things down where they can debate where they have something called the filibuster. You know it seems like it’s a little less than efficient — well that’s right it is. And deliberately designed to be so.”
- “They want their way every single time. And they will change the rules, break the rules, and misread the constitution so that they will get their way.”
- “This is the way Democracy ends. Not with a bomb but with a gavel.”
Who are all these Senators that have spoken out against the use of reconciliation to pass legislation?
- Barack Obama
- Charles Schumer
- Harry Reid
- Joe Biden
- Hillary Clinton
- Charles Schumer
- Max Baucus
Several more quotes against reconciliation can be found at Human Events.
The hypocrisy that exists in our government is truly astounding. Remember these quotes the President and Democrat leaders are on television or in the media talking about how they must pass health care reform through reconciliation. President Obama is on record saying the the use of reconciliation is clearly something that the founders of our country did not intend.
Hot Air is reporting that even the NYT is pessimistic about the use of reconciliation. This comes as even Nancy Pelosi is urging Democrats to support the health care reform bill even if the people the represent are against it as this is something “the people need” according to Pelosi.
The question is, are enough Sentators and Congressmen willing to fall on their swords to give the President and the Democrat leadership a political victory against the wishes of the majority of Americans?